Sunday, September 9, 2012

What up? Where are my recipes!

Okay okay, I know I have neglected my responsibility to bring you delicious and cost effective recipes. I'm sorry, I get way to caught up in being self righteous and I forget about my other talents. So, here ya go!

Do you have a child(ren)? Have those creatures of yours ever cut teeth? Well, let me tell you, mine sure is! Lately it has been hard to get her to eat, or do much of anything other than whimper in pain, because of the agony caused my some pesky molars. Introducing my homemade (healthy!) pops! All you need is a blender, some spinach (a fistful, or more if you want!), blueberries (about half a cup) and bananas (I use one whole one), orange juice (a splash!), and some plain Greek yogurt (half a cup).

Basically, I take all that stuff I just mentioned. Put it in a blender. Ta-da! A smoothie like substance. Place the smoothie like substance into Popsicle molds and freeze. Before you know it you have a healthy and very cold snack for your kid, or for yourself!

Now, a few tips. Frozen blueberries work great! I like the Trader Joe's Wild Boreal berries. They are grown without the use of pesticides in Quebec, Canada. Fresh organic blueberries are not cheap! I buy them, yes, but I consider them one of my splurge items  and don't just throw them willy-nilly into a blender with a bunch of other crap. Therefore, when I am making pops I opt for the frozen kind.



Bananas! The organic ones cost ten cents more per pound, just bite the bullet. When it comes to spinach I have to hand it to Trader Joe's again! A bag of organic baby spinach is only $1.99! Killer!


For yogurt, go with what you like. I prefer Chobani. I get it at Winco. Super cheap in there! You can spend like $2 more on the stuff at Safeway.

As far as the orange juice I just splash a little bit, my blender works better when there is a little liquid in there.

So yeah, they are yummy, cold, and filled with nutrition! You don't have to use blueberries and bananas! You can use strawberries, blackberries, beets, or even melon. Experiment! My nephew didn't even know there were greens in there. Anytime you can get kids to eat their greens I would call that a win!

Here is my baby enjoying the heck out of a pop! I let her be naked and just go to town on those suckers outside.

1 comment:

  1. You really need to be getting paid from all the companies you are advertising for....lol.

    PS
    *floored by Freya's beauty*

    ReplyDelete